Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Google is driving me nuts!

Ever since Google introduced Google+, it is driving me nuts. It is forcing me to do this and that while I am trying to do my work on the Net. All on a sudden a new window opens up and asks me to choose between this or that, click here or there, choose my real name or username or domain name. F***. Often times people do not have time to read and understand everything before making a choice because they are in the middle of something else. And as such they make a mistake and pay for it!

My domain name is Bestnetguru.com. My YouTube username is kimbhut65 (and kimbhut65's channel was created way before I bought my own domain). My pen name is Shoban Sen and my real name is something else. I have over 200 videos in my YouTube channel (kimbhut65's channel). Few months ago, while I was working on my channel design, all on a sudden a new window opened up. Google suggested to me that I better use Bestnetguru.com as my username in YouTube also - to simplify everything in my own interest. Without thinking much I agreed to change my username. The next moment, I discovered, kimbhut65's channel does not exist and in Bestnetguru.com's channel there are zero videos! I almost got a heart attack because I was building that channel since 2007! With great difficulty, I don't remember exactly how, I got in touch with a human being in YouTube's customer service and explained the situation to her and literally begged her to revive my original channel. Well she did not do it, but she told me how to do it within a specified time limit. And some how I managed to revive my channel!

Same thing happened again today. I do not even remember exactly what happened because I was concentrating on something else at that time. Another window opened up and forced me to choose something, probably to publish kimbhut65's channel on Google+. (I don't even know when and how I became a member of Google+ and even worse, I don't even know what exactly is Google+, I never use it)! In a hurry, making sure I am not opting to change the name kimbhut65 (I already burnt my finger once before doing that), I clicked on Next only to discover that my profile picture, channel art (cover photo) have all disappeared. F***! At the moment, I am trying to re-upload my profile photo and channel art which was created only about 2 months ago devoting much time and effort when YouTube forced us to re-design our channels!

After I publish this blog I shall try to assess the extent of today's damage and whether this can be reversed. Does my YouTube channel still exist? Google is expanding its business left and right. It used to be just a search engine (and a good one)! Now we have soo many Google products that I find it difficult to cope up with. Google, Google+, YouTube, blah, blah, blah ... F***!

I think it is time for me to retire from the Internet and just play golf or go fishing! After all, I am 72!!!

No comments: