Sunday, August 23, 2020

Windows 10 update

 Fuck! Why do software manufacturers do not make sure that their latest software update would NOT adversely affect a perfectly normally working computer! 


The case in question of this post is Microsoft Windows 10 latest update which happened 3-4 days ago. My Dell XPS 8700 desktop computer was working fine until this latest update happened. After the update, I cannot reach a large number of websites that I have in my bookmarks (I use Google Chrome browser). I tried everything I know to fix the problem. (And I am not new to computing. I am using computers since 1995!) I used Windows network diagnostics several times. That could not find any problem. I used Dell SupportAssist to diagnose and fix connectivity problem. That also could not find ANY problem anywhere. I cleared cache and other stuff from Chrome browser, I made sure I am using the latest version of Chrome, I checked for virus several times using McAfee LiveSafe. I restarted my computer numerous times. Still I cannot reach SOME websites. I CAN reach some normally busy sites like Facebook, YouTube, CNN news, Google etc, but not many others.


Why do the Govt. not make laws to prohibit software manufacturers to launch updates to their software without making 100% sure that it would not screw up a perfectly normally working computer like mine and if it does, there should be a one-click fix to the problem. Many of these updates are forced by the manufacturers. They are already downloaded, and installed in the same night or, at best, you are given a choice as to when to install it. It does not ask you IF you want to install it at all.


 I am so frustrated. I have prescription drugs to order from my mail order pharmacy, I have gifts to send to India, I need to use my online English to Bengali converter. Cannot do anything! I have been using some of these sites for ages. Now after this most recent Windows 10 update I cannot even reach these sites.


Does anybody know how to fix this fucking problem? If you know, PLEASE HELP. Thank you.

No comments: